Focus panel 20 – What does a credible EU-wide, social and economic framework to achieve a just transition look like?
A truly Just Transition is one that fully exploits the historic opportunity for reducing social and economic inequalities that must be seized now as we undertake the necessary transformation of our societies to environmental sustainability. Environmental and social justice cannot be separated and are a key part of the political movement that proposed the Green New Deal a decade ago, which concluded also that the existing economic model is the biggest obstacle to both.
Achieving that transition in a socially sustainable way is not possible, however, without a radical reform of the current socio-economic model that effectively treats people and the planet as “factors of production” and perpetual economic growth as an end in itself, regardless of the negative consequences, not only for the environment we depend on, but for the equitable distribution of wealth and the mechanisms for social solidarity that are essential for stable and harmonious societies.
During this panel debate we will explore what will the ecological transition require in terms of policies and regulations at EU level to cover key topics as: moving beyond GDP growth; the coordination of fiscal and economic policy; tax reforms to reduce inequalities; gender intersection of a just transition; delivering on new green and decent jobs; among others.
- Ernest Urtasun - MEP (Greens/EFA), Beyond Growth Conference organiser
- Éloi Laurent - Senior Economist at OFCE, Sciences Po Centre for Economic Research, Paris
- Patrizia Heidegger - Deputy Secretary General and Director for EU Governance, Sustainability and Global Policies · EU Policy Team, European Environmental Bureau (EEB)
- Ludovic Voet - Confederal Secretary of European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC)
- Brototi Roy - Postdoctoral researcher, jointly based at the Central European University, Vienna and Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Leonor Canadas - Just Transition and Global Climate Jobs Campaign
Deputy Secretary General and Director for EU Governance, Sustainability and Global Policies · EU Policy Team, European Environmental Bureau (EEB)
Postdoctoral researcher, jointly based at the Central European University, Vienna and Autonomous University of Barcelona.